Everything you need to know about the seventh chakra (Sahasrara): a complete guide for beginners
At the top or just above the head we find the Crown Chakra or Sahasrara in the Sanskrit language. This is where we can access higher consciousness, to the “god light”, to all that is, was and ever will be.
The Crown Chakra can be depicted as pure white colour, golden light or even a very deep violet/purple colour.
In terms of energy, the Crown Chakra has a connection with the first chakra, the Root Chakra, because they are both at the extremities of the chakra system. That’s why in Reiki the practitioner will usually work on both at the same time, at some point during a session.
These are some of the signs your Crown Chakra is balanced:
- You see the beauty in this world
- You feel connected with a consciousness of pure love and peace
- You feel deep joy
- You feel spiritually aware
- You are deeply grateful
When your Crown Chakra is blocked or out of balance, the below can manifest:
- You are very close-minded
- You are disconnected to spirit
- You lack a sense of direction
- Inability to connect with others
A healthy and flowing Crown Chakra or Sahasrara is extremely important if you want to be at one with the higher realms of consciousness and of light, to really know who you are, to live in and feel love for everything and everyone, to know the deeper meaning of life.
How To Balance The Crown Chakra?
There are many things that you can do to open your Crown Chakra and make it more balanced and flowing in the right direction. For example:
- Meditate – Sit, lay down or stand up, whatever makes you feel more comfortable. You can visualize a bright, white, golden or deep purple/violet ball of light, coming from the heavens and sitting a palm or so above the top of your head, appearing and increasing gradually in size, from a tiny grain of sand to the size of a basketball for example. See it as a flower, opening up its bright, white/golden/deep purple petals, rotating clock-wise. Stay with that image for a few good minutes. Many people see daily meditation as the best thing one can do to work on and balance the Crown Chakra.
- Eat more violet/purple foods – Red grape, eggplant, passionfruit, purple carrot, purple cabbage are some good foods to have for the Crown Chakra. You can also consume foods that are not necessarily purple or violet but are still good for the Crown Chakra, like ginger, herbal teas. As with any chakra, make sure to eat as much organic foods as possible. Cutting on fast foods, bad sugars and too greasy foods will also help your Crown Chakra deeply.
- Say daily affirmations – You can say the same ones or different ones several times a day. Just make sure you say with conviction, imagining and holding that feeling as you say it. Here are some examples: “I am part of the Divine”, “I love and accept myself”, “I am open to divine wisdom”, “I am connected to the highest realms of light and love”, “I live in the present moment”.
- Wear white/violet/purple clothing – What you wear also influences each and every chakra. Any piece of clothing or accessory that has white/violet/purple on it can be used and be efficient in balancing the Crown Chakra (shirts, sweaters, jackets, socks, underwear, pants, jeans…). You don’t need to be fully white/purple/violet clothed (not unless you’re going to a themed party); one piece of white/violet/purple clothing or accessory is enough, but that’s entirely up to you.
- Meditation music – There are many, many pieces of music and sounds that can be used and even be specific for healing the Crown Chakra. You can find them on YouTube, for example. You can play different ones every time, so don’t feel like you need to stick with a particular one.
- Use gemstones, crystals and jewellery – Wearing or simply holding these can have a tremendous effect into opening up and healing your Crown Chakra. You can try clear quartz, diamond, amethyst, selenite, sugilite… Basically, any white/clear/purple/violet-looking crystal and gemstone can be used. There are many more that you can use, so have fun discovering them!
You can do just one of these, all of them at the same time, or just something else entirely that resonates more with you. What’s important is to do it as much and/or as often as possible, holding or visualizing the intention deeply and truthfully.
You might also like: What is the Third Eye Chakra? and What Are Chakras? The 7 Chakras and Their Meaning
Subscribe to My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.