Everything you need to know about the fifth chakra (Vishuddha): a complete guide for beginners
The Throat Chakra is the fifth of the seven main chakras and is also the first of the higher chakras, the one that comes immediately after the “bridge” that is the Heart Chakra.
The Vishuddha Chakra area goes from the middle of the collar bone all the way up to the eyes, including the whole neck, nose and ears. It’s main centre though is, obviously, the throat.
Because of its location, the Throat Chakra deals with communication and expression, listening and understanding.
The colour attributed to the Throat Chakra is blue. It can go from sky blue to dark blue, depending on where you’re accessing this information from. So, if you see different shades of blue to represent the Throat Chakra, you know why.
These are some of the signs your Throat Chakra is balanced:
- You can express your truth
- You can project your creativity
- You are authentic
- You listen with intention
- You accept your originality
When your Throat Chakra is blocked or out of balance, the below can manifest:
- You tell lies
- Your voice is weak, imperceptible
- You don’t listen to others
- You speak too much
- You don’t keep your word
A healthy and flowing Throat Chakra or Vishuddha is extremely important if you want to connect to the more spiritual worlds, know and follow your life purpose, if you want to share the truth, if you believe in inspirational creativity.
How To Balance The Throat Chakra?
There are many things that you can do to open your Throat Chakra and make it more balanced and flowing in the right direction. For example:
- Meditate – Sit, lay down or stand up, whatever makes you feel more comfortable. You can visualize a light or darker blue light on the centre of your throat and inside your body, appearing and increasing gradually in size, from a tiny grain of sand to the size of a basketball for example. See it as a flower, opening up its bright, blue petals, rotating clock-wise. Stay with that image for a few good minutes.
- Eat more blue foods – Since blue is the colour of the Throat Chakra, it makes sense to have foods that have a more blue-ish colour, like blueberries, blackberries, plums, eggplants. You can also consume foods that are not necessarily blue but are still good for the throat, like ginger, seeds, fruits and simple spices like salt, pepper.
- Say daily affirmations – You can say the same ones or different ones several times a day. Just make sure you say with conviction, imagining and holding that feeling as you say it. Here are some examples: “I am at peace”, “I speak my truth”, “I have an authentic life”, “I feed my spirit with creativity”, “I express gratitude for everything”.
- Wear blue clothing – What you wear also influences each and every chakra. Any piece of clothing or accessory that has blue on it can be used and be efficient in balancing the Throat Chakra (shirts, sweaters, jackets, socks, underwear, pants, jeans…). You don’t need to be fully blue clothed (not unless you’re going to a themed party); one piece of blue clothing or accessory is enough, but that’s entirely up to you.
- Meditation music – There are many, many pieces of music and sounds that can be used and even be specific for healing the Throat Chakra. You can find them on YouTube, for example. You can play different ones every time, so don’t feel like you need to stick with a particular one.
- Use gemstones, crystals and jewellery – Wearing or simply holding these can have a tremendous effect into opening up and healing your Throat Chakra. You can try lapis lazuli, turquoise, aquamarine, angelite, blue agate… Basically, any blue or blue-looking crystal and gemstone can be used. There are many more that you can use, so have fun discovering them!
You can do just one of these, all of them at the same time or just something else entirely that resonates more with you. What’s important is to do it as much and/or as often as possible, holding or visualizing the intention deeply and truthfully.
4 thoughts on “What is the Throat Chakra?”