Everything you need to know about the second chakra (Swadhisthana): a complete guide for beginners
Located in the lower abdomen area, between the pelvic area and just below the belly button, the Sacral Chakra is where the more creative and sexual energies exist. The creative energy is what helps you have a more enjoyable life on this world.
Because the Sacral Chakra comes right after the Root Chakra, it works or performs better if the latter is in alignment or balanced, since they can be seen as cogs in a machine.
The Sacral Chakra is key in your creativity endeavours (any form of artistry, entertainment, etc.), but also in your sexuality/sensual pleasure and the ability to change all aspects of your life, relationships, fantasies, feelings and emotions, etc.
These are some of the signs of a balanced Sacral Chakra:
- Confidence in making changes to improve your life
- Having plenty of ideas
- Feeling dynamic
- Feeling stimulated by yourself and other people
- Satisfied in your relationships
When your Sacral Chakra is out of balance (blocked), the below can manifest:
- Fear of change
- Lack of creativity/inspiration
- Low self-esteem
- Addictive behaviours
A healthy and flowing Sacral Chakra or Svadhisthana is extremely important if you want to have a more pleasured life, full of creativity, imagination and healthy relationships with yourself and others, with a lot more confidence.
How To Balance The Sacral Chakra?
There are many things that you can do to open your Sacral Chakra and make it more balanced and flowing in the right direction. For example:
- Meditate – Sit, lay down or stand up, whatever makes you feel more comfortable. You can visualize a deep orange light, in your lower abdomen, up to just below the belly button and inside your body, appearing and increasing gradually in size, from a tiny grain of sand to the size of a basketball for example. See it as a flower, opening up its bright, orange petals, rotating clock-wise. Stay with that image for a while.
- Eat more orange foods – Since orange is the colour of Sacral Chakra, it makes sense to have foods that have orange as their primary colour, like… oranges (obviously), mangoes, peaches, papayas, apricots, pumpkins…
- Say daily affirmations – You can say the same ones or different ones several times a day. Just make sure you say with conviction, imagining and holding that feeling as you say it. Here are some examples: “I feel nourished”, “I feel happy”, “I feel pleasure”, “I feel creative”, “I feel passionate”.
- Wear orange clothing – What you wear also influences each and every chakra. Any piece of clothing or accessory that has orange on it can be used and be efficient in balancing the Sacral Chakra (shirts, sweaters, jackets, socks, underwear, pants…). You don’t need to be fully orange clothed (not unless you’re going to an orange-themed party); one piece of orange clothing or accessory is enough, but that’s entirely up to you.
- Meditation music – There are many, many pieces of music and sounds that can be used and even be specific for healing the Sacral Chakra. You can find them on YouTube, for example. You can play different ones every time, so don’t feel like you need to stick with a particular one.
- Use gemstones, crystals and jewellery – Wearing or simply holding these can have a tremendous effect into opening up and healing your Sacral Chakra. You can try orange calcite, citrine (both natural and heat-treated ones are good), carnelian, moonstone. Basically, any orange-looking crystal and gemstone can be used. There are many more that you can use, so have fun discovering them!
You can do just one of these, all of them at the same time, or just something else entirely that resonates more with you. What’s important is to do it as much and/or as often as possible, holding or visualizing the intention deeply and truthfully.
6 thoughts on “What is the Sacral Chakra?”