Everything you need to know about the first chakra (Muladhara): a complete guide for beginners
As the name indicates, the Root Chakra has to do with roots, therefore with the earth below our feet. The root is what connects all of us with this Earth’s energy, which can be called grounding.
So, you can say that the Root Chakra is what gives us all stability and a solid foundation. Without a solid foundation the rest cannot be “built”, grow or work properly.
The Root Chakra is associated with survival, security, support, safety and basic needs like food, shelter, sleep, etc. In order for this chakra to be functioning properly, its energy needs to be flowing in the right direction, free of blockages. Because the Root Chakra is the first one, it’s imperative that it works properly, or the rest of the chakra points will also be affected by it.
A Balanced Root Chakra will give you the following:
- You feel physically secure/safe
- You have confidence to take on challenges
- You are/feel financially secure
- You feel calm and anchored (grounded)
- You are/feel connected to your human experience
When your Root Chakra is out of balance (blocked), the below can manifest:
- You may feel panic, anxiety, threatened
- You may feel low/lack of energy
- Difficulty to concentrate
- Lower back pain
- Digestive problems, hip pains
It’s important to keep the Root Chakra healthy and flowing, unblocked, for it will help the other chakra points work properly and efficiently.
How To Balance, Heal and Unlock The Root Chakra?
There are many things that you can do to open your Root Chakra and make it more balanced and flowing in the right direction. For example:
- Meditate – Sit, lay down or stand up, whatever makes you feel more comfortable. You can visualize a deep red light, at the base of the spine and inside your body, appearing and increasing gradually in size, from a tiny grain of sand to the size of a basketball for example. See it as a flower, opening up its petals, rotating clock-wise. Stay with that image for a while.
- Eat more red foods, if you can – red bell peppers, red tomatoes, strawberries, cherries, red apples, beetroots and all root vegetables to be honest, since they all grow in the soil.
- Say daily affirmations – You can say the same ones or different ones several times a day. Just make sure you say with conviction, imagining and holding that feeling as you say it. Here are some examples: “I am safe and secure everywhere”, “I am grounded and stable”, “I feel my Root Chakra opening up”, “My Root Chakra is healing”, “The universes always provide for me”.
- Wear red clothing – What you wear also influences each and every chakra. Any piece of clothing or accessory that has red on it can be used and be efficient in balancing the Root Chakra (shirts, sweaters, jackets, socks, underwear, pants…).
- Meditation music – There are many, many pieces of music and sounds that can be used and even be specific for healing the Root Chakra. You can find them on YouTube, for example. You can play different ones every time, so don’t feel like you need to stick with a particular one.
- Be in Nature – Go for a walk in the park, on the beach, in the forest or woods, whatever is more accessible to you, gardening, swimming, running or jogging…
- Use gemstones, crystals and jewellery – Wearing or simply holding these can have a tremendous effect into opening up and healing your Root Chakra. You can try red jasper, carnelian, red calcite, hematite, black obsidian, bloodstone. There are many more that you can use, so have fun discovering them!
You can do just one of these, all of them at the same time or just something else entirely that resonates more with you.
What is important is to do it as much and/or as often as possible, holding or visualizing the intention deeply and truthfully.
You might also like: What Are Chakras? The 7 Chakras and Their Meaning
Subscribe to My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.