How to open the chakras, how to unlock them, how to balance them and meaning: a complete chakras guide for beginners
The word chakra comes from the old Sanskrit language and it means wheel. And it means wheel because its energy is felt and seen as it is rotating or spinning around inside a person’s body.
The body has 7 main energy centres, chakras or chakra points, starting from the base of the spine and ending around a palm or so above the head. All these chakra points have names to them:
- The First Chakra, located at the base of the spine and going up to just below the belly button, is called Root Chakra or Muladhara (Emotional body attachment: FEAR).
- The Second Chakra, located immediately below the belly button and up to its centre, is called Sacral Chakra or Svadhisthana (Emotional body attachment: GUILT, SHAME, ENVY, JEALOUSY).
- The Third Chakra, located from the belly button up to the bottom of your ribcage, is called Solar Plexus Chakra or Manipura (Emotional body attachment: SHAME, INFERIORITY COMPLEX, OVERTAKING).
- The Fourth Chakra, located right in the middle of your chest, is called the Heart Chakra or Anahata (Emotional body attachment: PAIN, INJURY).Watch this video to know more: 5 Simple Techniques To Open Your Heart Chakra – Anahata
- The Fifth Chakra, located from the middle of collarbone up to the eyes, is called the Throat Chakra or Vishuddha (Emotional body attachment: INSINCERITY, IMITATION).
- The Sixth Chakra, located right between your eyebrows, is called the Third Eye Chakra or Ajna (Emotional body attachment: ILLUSION, TRUST). Watch this video to know more: 5 Simple Techniques To Open Your Third Eye
– How To Open The Third Eye.
- The Seventh Chakra, located a palm or so above the head, is called the Crown Chakra or Sahasrara (Emotional body attachment: CLOSED-MINDEDNESS, LIVING IN FANTASY).
There are many other chakra points, which can be seen by some as minor chakras, going up to 114. These chakras are located on the arms, fingers, elbows, legs, knees, toes, and on other parts.
Chakras are also attributed colours, mantras, chantings, and even sound frequencies, among other things. Let’s start with the colours then:
- The Root Chakra or Muladhara has the colour red
- The Sacral Chakra or Svadhisthana has the colour orange
- The Solar Plexus Chakra or Manipura has the colour yellow
- The Heart Chakra or Anahata has the colour green (can also have pink or a mixture of both)
- The Throat Chakra or Vishuddha has the colour blue (you can see many variations of blue in books and on the internet, ranging from very light blue to a darker blue)
- The Third Eye Chakra or Ajna has the colour indigo (many see it as between the blue and the violet, others say it’s a mixture of both)
- The Crown Chakra or Sahasrara has either the violet or white colour
Read What is the connection between Chakras and Gemstones? to learn about the connection between colours, chakras and crystals in the healing process.
How to unlock the chakras with mantras and chanting
Mantras and chanting are seen as affirmations, words, or sounds that can be used when dealing with chakras, with their healing and balancing. They don’t have to be used, but they help greatly in achieving a more balanced and healthier chakra.
Most people use mantras in the form of short phrases, something like “I am happy”, “I deserve abundance”, “I am healthy in body, mind, and soul”, but they can be whatever feels more natural to you.
Here are some examples of mantras for each of the main chakras:
The Root Chakra (Muladhara)
- “I am safe”
- “I am protected”
- “I am grounded”
The Sacral Chakra (Svadhisthana)
- “I feel loved”
- “I feel happy”
- “I feel creative”
The Solar Plexus Chakra (Manipura)
- “I have a healthy self-esteem”
- “I am confident”
- “I achieve my goals successfully”
The Heart Chakra (Anahata)
- “I love myself”
- “I love my life”
- “I give and receive love easily”
The Throat Chakra (Vishuddha)
- “I speak with confidence”
- “I speak the truth”
- “I listen to other without judgement”
The Third Eye Chakra (Ajna)
- “I see clearly”
- “I trust my intuition”
- “I see the best in people, things and myself”
The Crown Chakra (Sahasrara)
- “I am love”
- “I am light”
- “I am connected to all that is”
When it comes to chantings, each of the main chakras has its own unique one. I’m sure most of you have heard on the internet or on tv Asian monks chant, right? Well, here are the chantings for each chakra:
LAM (Root Chakra)
Pronounced as LAHM. Say it as in “LAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMM…”
VAM (Sacral Chakra)
Pronounced as VAHM. Say it as in “VAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMM…”
RAM (Solar Plexus Chakra)
Pronounced as RAHM. Say it as in “RAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMM…”
YAM (Heart Chakra)
Pronounced as YAHM. Say it as in “YAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMM…”
HAM (Throat Chakra)
Pronounced as HAHM. Say it as in “HAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMM…”
AUM or OM (Third Eye Chakra)
Pronounced as all vowels together (AEIOU) or OHM. Say it as in “AUUUUMMM…” or “OMMMMM…”
OM or AH (Crown Chakra)
Pronounced as OHM or Ah. Say it as in “OMMMMM…” or “AHHHHHHH…”
Subscribe to My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.